History of Taylor, Texas.
On June 26, 1876, the International & Great Northern Railway reached a point in the vast open cattle ranges of Central Texas called Taylor Station. This station was named for a railroad official and was later called Taylorsville and finally Taylor. In anticipation of the railroad, the Texas Land Company laid out streets, public parks, a square, and sold lots for prices ranging from $20 to $350.
Taylor Station was situated on one of the major cattle trails and by August, 1876, it was reported that 146 carloads of cattle had been shipped. With the railroad, came a colonization of farmers and businessmen, mainly from Midwestern and Southern states. The rich pastureland was soon cultivated and began to produce an abundance of cotton. The first cotton gin was built in 1877.
Gradually, civilization developed. Early accounts describe quite a bloody place with shoot-outs and lawlessness; but, as more and more people arrived, churches and private schools were established and businesses flourished. A fire in February, 1879, destroyed most of the frame buildings and they were replaced with brick structures.
In 1882, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad was extended to Taylorsville: the first city election was held, and the Railroad was joined with the Missouri-Pacific to link East and West. A ceremony took place between Taylor and Hutto to celebrate this event, with speeches and an abundance of champagne and beer. The Honorable John R. Hoxie, ex-mayor of Chicago, drove the last spike. Mr. Hoxie became a wealthy cattleman whose ranch north of Taylorsville was described as quite a showplace.Next Page